It’s easy to save calories with a little bit of pre-planning. Pick a couple of the below “Nixes & Switches” to help shave up to 500 calories from your daily total. Remember, 1 pound equals 3,500 calories, if you eliminate 500 calories everyday for 1 week – you will lose 1 pound!
1. Strive for 5 to 9 servings of fruits & veggies per day! Easy tips include:
– Putting blueberries, strawberries, peaches or bananas on your cereal, oatmeal or waffles or in your yogurt at breakfast
– Adding lettuce or tomato to a sandwich at lunch
– Starting dinner with a healthy salad (be careful of the dressing you use)
2. Use these tips to slash calories without even missing them!
– Eat your sandwich or burger open faced with only 1 slice of bread
– Have a cup of broth based soup as an appetizer
– Take only a serving size of your favorite crunchy snack out of the cabinet instead of the whole bag
– Order salad dressing on the side
– Order an appetizer as your main course
3. When eating carbohydrates swap white processed carbohydrates for whole grains as opposed to processed. Good choices include: whole-wheat flour, whole-grain bread, high-fiber cereal, brown rice, whole-grain pasta, and oatmeal.
4. Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth with one of these low calorie alternatives:
-Root beer Float (50 calories)
Add ¼ cup of light vanilla ice cream to a glass of diet root beer
– Tropicana Real Fruit – Fruit Bar (50 calories)
You’ll also get 25% of your daily vitamin C requirements!
– Two Big Fluffy Marshmallows (46 calories)
Or coat 1 big marshmallow in chocolate syrup for the same # of calories!
– One Dove Dark Chocolate Promise (42 calories)
Sometimes all you need is 1 decadent bite of really good chocolate!
– JELL-O (1 cup) & a Dollop of Cool Whip (35 calories)
Be Fit, Be Healthy, Be Happy! ~Tanya