The key to getting restful sleep that refreshes and restores you is to create a sleep strategy. Your sleep strategy includes making the area where you sleep a place where you want to sleep and will enjoy sleeping. The bedding materials, colors, sounds and atmosphere play a key role in helping you achieve a great sleep experience. Put the following strategies into place to ensure a restful, relaxing sleep.
Get Into a Routine
Establish a bedtime routine so that your body knows that when you start to do activities like these “sleepy time” is just around the corner.
- Reading a book by a soft light
- Take a warm bath
- Play soothing music
- Settle in with a cup of tea
Get Your Room in Order
The area where you sleep can determine how much restful sleep you really get. Open a window and allow fresh air to circulate while you sleep. If you can’t have fresh air, try an air purifier. Use blinds or heavy curtains to block out light and remove electronic equipment such as computers, smartphones and other noisy gadgets. If you aren’t able to take them out of the room altogether; at least move them away from the head of your bed. Studies have shown that these devices can emit waves and frequencies that can interfere with your ability to sleep soundly. Put freshly cut flowers next to the head of your bed, the aroma will help you fall asleep and stay asleep.
If you have trouble relaxing and letting go of the cares of the world, try these relaxation techniques. You’ll be off to “La-La Land” in no time.
- Deep Breathing: Close your eyes and take deep, slow breaths. Make each breath deeper than the last and really concentrate on the act of breathing.
- Muscle Relaxation: Start with your toes and consciously tighten and tense each muscle, then completely relax it. Work your way up your whole body. You may not make it past your torso.
- Visualization: Close your eyes and create a calm, restful, relaxing place in your head. Concentrate on how relaxed and peaceful this makes you feel.
Download the Guided Relaxation Kit to help you relax, de-stress and prep for your best sleep ever.