It is so easy to let the summer pass us by before we know it. I always think to myself after the winter holidays that “now things will slow down a bit,” but that is never the case. Summer flies by and next thing I know the leaves are turning and the winter squash and apples fill the market. One thing I always try to improve over the summer is my health so that it can help sustain me through the winter months.
Wellness is more than just eating right and exercising, it also includes having things in your life that you are passionate about; having loving relationships and connecting with the world around you. Being a native Floridian I love summer and find it one of the times when I am most alive and vibrant. The weather begs to be enjoyed, the food is never fresher and people love to get together and celebrate in the heat of the day or when the evenings cool things down a bit.
Take some time to try a few of the simple things on the list below and you are sure to have a healthy summer full of memories.
1. Take advantage of the season’s bounty and eat fruits and vegetables. Make it fun by visiting your local farmers market and picking up what is in season.
2. Fall in love with salad. Gather all of your favorite toppings (hopefully from your farmers market), wash and prep them, and store them in the fridge for the week. Whenever you are ready to eat just throw it all together. Cooling foods, those filled with water like lettuce and tomatoes, help keep your body cool during the hot months. Take a couple of recycled jam jars and mix up a few different homemade dressings. Some examples of yummy summer salads are strawberry and walnut over spinach with balsamic vinaigrette or baby greens with cucumber, feta and tomatoes with vinegar and oil, the possibilities are endless.
3. Get outside (don’t forget your sunscreen) and get moving. Go for a walk or run, or move your yoga mat and weights to your back yard, deck or park for a fun outside workout.
4. Take a few minutes for yourself on vacation. Wake up before everyone else and enjoy some quiet meditation time.
5. Open your windows for a few minutes each morning or evening before the sun starts to warm everything up and let the fresh air come in (and the toxins out!)
6. Drink lots of water. To cool off your water and add a blast of fruity freshness, add a splash of fruit juice or freeze some berries instead of ice. My favorite version is to make a “faux-mosa”, put a splash of orange juice (or orange juice ice cubes) in mineral water. Yum!
7. Take an evening stroll after dinner with your loved ones (both the two legged and four legged loved ones).
8. Find outdoor events happening in your area like free concerts, movies in the park, races for a cause…
9. Dig in the dirt. Plant some veggies and herbs to liven up your meals or some beautiful flowers to delight your senses. Repot your house plants to keep them healthy so they can clean your indoor air.
10. Reconnect with friends and family. Throw a BBQ or make it simple with wine and cheese. Take it all outdoors in your newly planted garden and enjoy the summer evenings and the flicker of lightening bugs.
Thanks Kerri! My Favorite is #3 – Get Outside … What is yours?
Be Fit, Be Healthy, Be Happy! ~ Tanya
Real Workouts, Real Results for Real People