“Hi Tanya! I have a goal to lose weight and am following your strength training program 2 times a week – for maximum benefit, when should I do cardio? Love your site, BTW! Thanks, Anne from Minneaplis”
Anne -Good for you for working on losing weight! Strength/resistance training 2 times per week is perfect – in order to really achieve your goal you need to include cardio workouts as well – 5 to 6 times per week, 30 minutes to 1 hour is optimal – that may sound like a lot but the more you do the better. Here is a great way to get your cardio in during a strength training day; incorporate cardio intervals during your workout. In between each exercise – jump rope, do jumping jacks, run, run up and down the steps or do any other high intensity cardio that you like for :30 to 2:00. Then 3 or 4 other days per week pick a cardio activity that you like and shoot for an hour. Remember to change up what you do and keep it fun! Good luck with your goal and let me know how you’re doing!!
If your goal is weight loss like; remember:
• 2 to 3 full body strength training workouts per week (non consecutive days)
• 1 to 3 sets of each exercise
• 12 to 20 reps of each exercise
• Use moderately heavy weight w/ light to moderate intensity
• Make sure to rest for :15 to :30 between sets (if you’re not doing cardio intervals)
• Incorporate cardio 5 or 6 days per week for 30:00 to 1 hour
Thanks for the great question! Send more!
Be Fit! Be Healthy! Be Happy! ~ Tanya